Did you know that these 30 international celebrities have Filipino blood running through their veins? Check out who's on our list:[gallery link="file" orderby="rand"]
1. MANNY PACQUIAO Boxer, Politician
Born Emmanuel Dapidran Pacquiao in Kibawe, Bukidnon, Philippines, he is the fourth of six siblings born to Rosalio Pacquiao and Dionesia Dapidran-Pacquiao. He is known worldwide simply as “Manny” after becoming the first and only eight-division world champion in Boxing and the first and only to win the lineal championship in four different weight classes. He has won a total of ten boxing world titles.
Manny also pursued other interests such as acting, singing and politics. In May 2010, he was elected to the House of Representatives in the 15th Congress of the Philippines.
Manny resides in his hometown General Santos City, South Cotabato, Philippines with his wife, Maria Geraldine “Jinkee” Jamora and their four children: Emmanuel Jr. "Jimuel", Michael, Princess, and Queen Elizabeth "Queenie." However, he is officially residing in neighboring Kiamba in Sarangani as congressman of the lone district, which is also the hometown of his wife.
Photo by: Krista Gem J. Mercado
*CHECK OUT OUR EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW WITH MANNY PACQUIAO : http://wikamag.com/manny-pacquiao-the-peoples-champ-forever/
2. LEA SALONGA Singer, Actress
She is best known for originating the role of "Kim" in the musical Miss Saigon. This multi-award winning Filipina singer and actress is the first to win various international awards for a single role. She is recognized for having won the Olivier, Tony, Drama Desk, Outer Critics and Theatre World Awards. She was the first Asian to play Eponine in the musical Les Misérables on Broadway and was the singing voice of Princess Jasmine in the 1992 animated film Aladdin. She was also the singing voice of Fa Mulan in the 1998 and 2004 animated films Mulan and MulanII.
Photo by: Scott Campbell
*CHECK BACK FOR OUR EXCLUSIVE VIDEO INTERVIEW WITH LEA SALONGA UPLOADING SOON[video id="" site="youtube"][/video] LEA SALONGA
3. ENRIQUE IGLESIAS Singer
The son of Filipina journalist and model Isabel Preysler and international superstar Julio Iglesias. Enrique's singing has earned him a Grammy, a Latin Grammy, 5 American Music Awards, 7 World Music Awards, 16 Billboard Music Awards, 26 Billboard Latin Music Awards earning him the title of "King of Latin Pop".PHOTO SOURCE [video id="" site="youtube"][/video] ENRIQUE IGLESIAS
4. VANESSA HUDGENS Actress, SingerBorn Vanessa Anne Hudgens in Salinas, California to a Filipina mother, Gina Guangco (a native of Manila, Philippines), and an Irish/Native American father, Gregory Hudgens. “I am so proud of my heritage. I love being a Filipina,” she is quoted as saying on Inquirer.net. “There aren’t very many Filipino girls in the industry. So being able to stand up and be that girl makes me proud.” She went under the spotlight after playing Gabriella Montez in the High School Musical series. Songs from the films hit the BillboardHot 100 and charted worldwide leading to the release of her debut album V which entered the Billboard 200 at number 24 in 2006. Her feature film debut was in the 2003 film Thirteen followed by Bandslam, Journey 2: The Mysterious Island and Sucker Punch. More recently she appeared in the films Spring Breakers and Machete Kills. PHOTO SOURCE [video id="" site="youtube"][/video] VANESSA HUDGENS
5. BRUNO MARS SingerBorn Peter Gene Hernandez in Honolulu, Hawaii, he is known worldwide by his stage name Bruno Mars. He is the son of a Filipina mother, Bernadette "Bernie" San Pedro Bayot (a native of the Philippines) and a Puerto Rican father, Peter Hernandez. Mars came from a musical family so his interest in music started at a very early age. He began performing with his family's band, The Love Notes, at the age of four. His debut studio album, Doo-Wops & Hooligans (2010) was nominated for seven Grammy Awards with the single "Just The Way You Are" winning Best Pop Vocal Performance; his other singles, "Grenade", "The Lazy Song", and "Locked Out of Heaven" (from his second album Unorthodox Jukebox (2012)) are all international hits. His tireless work paid off earning him a Grammy Award, an American Music Award, a Billboard Music Award and a BRIT Award. In 2011, Mars was named one of Time Magazine's 100 most influential people in the world. PHOTO SOURCE [video id="" site="youtube"][/video] BRUNO MARS
6. HAILEE STEINFELD ActressThis talented actress was born to a Filipina/American mother Cheri Domasin and American father, Peter Steinfeld, in Trazana, California. Her maternal grandfather, Ricardo Domasin, is a Filipino from Bohol, Philippines. She was nominated for a Best Supporting Actress Award at the Oscars for her role as young Mattie Ross in True Grit.
7. KIRK HAMMETT Guitarist
Born to a Filipina mother, Teofila "Chefela" Oyao from Cebu and an Irish American father, in San Francisco. Kirk is the lead guitarist of the Grammy Award-winning heavy metal band Metallica. This virtuoso was trained by famous guitarist Joe Satriani and joined Metallica after Dave Mustaine was booted out of the band in their early years.
8. ANNA MARIA PEREZ de TAGLE Actress, SingerThis talented actress and singer was born Anna María Francesca Enriquez Perez de Taglé in San Francisco, California. Her grandmother is Philippine actress/singer Sylvia La Torre; she is Isabel Preysler's niece and first cousin of Enrique Iglesias. She is best known for her role as Ashley Dewitt on Hannah Montana and played the role of Ella Pador on Camp Rock and Camp Rock 2: The Final Jam. In 2011, she began starring on Broadway in Godspell at the Circle in the Square theater in New York City. PHOTO SOURCE [video id="" site="youtube"][/video] ANNA MARIA PEREZ de TAGLE 9. ALLAN PINEDA LINDO (aka Apl.De.Ap) Rapper
Born in Angeles, Pampanga to a Filipino mom and African American dad. He is a member of the hip-hop group the Black Eyed Peas. He is very proud of his Filipino roots and even wrote two Filipino songs, “The Apl Song” and “Bebot” for the Black Eyed Peas.Apl.De.Ap
10. TIA CARRERE Actress, SingerPHOTO SOURCE Born in Honolulu, Hawaii to Filipino parents, Audrey Duhinio Janairo and Alexander Janairo. Her resume is extensive, landing roles in both television and in film as early as 1985; some of her television work include roles in Airwolf (1985), General Hospital (1985), The A-Team (1986), MacGyver (1986, 1988) Friday the 13th: The Series (1990), Quantum Leap (1990), Married... with Children (1990), Tales from the Crypt (1992), The O.C. (2006), Curb Your Enthusiasm (2007), Dancing with the Stars season 2, Nip/Tuck (2007), CSI: Miami (2009), The Celebrity Apprentice (2012), In Plain Sight (2012). Some of her notable films include, Wayne's World (1992), Wayne's World 2 (1993), True Lies (1994), Lilo & Stitch (2002) - Nani (voice). [video id="" site="youtube"][/video] TIA CARRERE 11. CHAD HUGO Musician, Producer
Along with Pharell, he is the other half of the music production duo The Neptunes and a member of funk/rock band N*E*R*D. This Filipino Grammy Award-winning producer not only excels in music production, but is also a master on the sax, piano and guitar.
12. NIA PEEPLES ActressBorn Virenia Gwendolyn Peeples in Hollywood, California, her maternal grandparents were immigrants from the Philippines. She is best known for her roles as Nicole Chapman on Fame, as Karen Taylor Winters on The Young and the Restless and as Sydney Cooke on Walker, Texas Ranger. PHOTO SOURCE
13. ROB SCHNEIDER Comedian, ActorBorn in San Francisco, California, he is the son of a Filipina mother, Pilar Schneider, and American father, Marvin Schneider. He is a stand-up comedian and best known for his performances on Saturday Night Live. He's had a successful film career with starring roles in the comedy films Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo, The Hot Chick, and Grown Ups. PHOTO SOURCE
14. PHOEBE CATES Actress, ModelBorn Phoebe Belle Cates in New York City, she is of Filipino, Chinese & Russian descent. Perhaps best known for her films Fast Times at Ridgemont High and Gremlins. She is married to Actor, Kevin Kline. PHOTO SOURCE
15. LOU DIAMOND PHILLIPS Actor
Born Lou Diamond Upchurch in Zambales, Philippines, he is the son of Filipina Lucita Aranas, a native of Candelaria, and American Gerald Upchurch. Lou became famous after playing Ritchie Valens in the film La Bamba in 1987. Two years later, his stunning performance in high school drama film Stand and Deliver earned him a Best Supporting Actor nomination from the Golden Globes. He also received a Tony Award nomination for Best Actor for his performance in the Broadway musical The King and I.LOU DIAMOND PHILLIPS
16. LOURDES BENEDICTO ActressBorn in Brooklyn, NY, this talented Filipino-Dominican actress is best known for her starring role as Eva Rios on The Nine and had recurring roles on NYPD Blue, ER, Dawson's Creek and on 24. She is primarily known for her television work but has had roles in the films Permanent Midnight (1998), Drive Me Crazy (1999), The Fighting Temptations (2003) and Unbeatable Harold (2005). PHOTO SOURCE
17. JOEY SANTIAGO Guitarist, ComposerJoseph Alberto Santiago was born in Manila, Philippines. He is a Filipino-American guitarist and composer best known as the lead guitarist for the American alternative rock band the Pixies. Santiago studied economics at the University of Massachusetts Amherst where he met Charles Thompson , an anthropology student. Thompson would later adopt the alias "Black Francis" and form the Pixies with Santiago on lead guitar, Black Francis on vocals, Kim Deal on bass and David Lovering on drums. PHOTO SOURCE [video id="" site="youtube"][/video] JOEY SANTIAGO *CHECK BACK FOR OUR EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW WITH JOEY SANTIAGO
18. NICOLE SCHERZINGER SingerScherzinger was born Nicole Prescovia Elikolani Valiente in Honolulu, Hawaii. Her father, Alfonso Valiente, is Filipino, and her mother, Rosemary Elikolani, is half-Hawaiian and half-Russian. Her parents separated when she was a baby and her mother was remarried to Gary Scherzinger, whose surname she took. She is best known as the lead vocalist for the pop group The Pussycat Dolls, one of the world's best selling girl groups of all time and later became a solo artist. PHOTO SOURCE
19. BRANDON VERA MMA FighterBrandon Michael Vera is an Filipino American mixed martial artist who currently competes in the Ultimate Fighting Championship as a Heavyweight. He is the former WEC 13 Heavyweight Grand Prix Champion. Vera was raised in a traditional Filipino household by his father, Ernesto, and his stepmother, Amelia and speaks fluent Tagalog; his Italian American birth mother was not involved with most of his upbringing. PHOTO SOURCE [video id="" site="youtube"][/video] BRANDON VERA 20. VANESSA MINNILLO TV Personality Vanessa Joy Lachey (née Minnillo) was born in Angeles City, Pampanga, Philippines. Her father, Vincent Minnillo, is American of Italian and Irish descent, while her estranged mother, Helen Bercero, is Filipino. She was named Miss Teen USA in 1998 and was the host of MTV's Total Request Live from 2003-2007. She became the New York City correspondent for Entertainment Tonight in 2005 and later appeared in several television shows including That's Life, City Girls, 30 Rock, The Bold and The Beautiful, Psych, Hawaii Five-0 and Maybe It's Me. In 2011, she married Nick Lachey of the boy band 98 Degrees and gave birth to their first child, Camden John Lachey on September 12, 2012. PHOTO SOURCE
21. MICHAEL COPON Actor, SingerMichael Sowell Copon was born in Chesapeake, Virginia to a Filipino father, and a German mother. He is best known for playing Felix Taggaro in the television series One Tree Hill, Vin Keahi in the television series Beyond the Break, and Lucas Kendall in Power Rangers: Time Force. PHOTO SOURCE [video id="" site="youtube"][/video] MICHAEL COPON
22. CASSIE Actress, Singer
Cassie was born Casandra Elizabeth Ventura in New London, Connecticut. Her father is Filipino and her mother is African American. Cassie began modeling at the age of sixteen for Delia's fashion catalog and Seventeen In 2002, she met record producer Ryan Leslie who signed her to NextSelection Lifestyle Group and eventually partnered up with Diddy and Bad Boy Records to release her self-titled debut studio album. The album peaked at number four on the Billboard 200 chart. In 2009, she signed a record deal with Interscope Records to release her debut mixtape RockaByeBaby which features Rick Ross and Wiz Khalifa.
While pursuing her music career, Cassie continued with modeling and signed with Wilhelmina Models and One Management. She has modeled for Calvin Klein one, Adidas, Abercrombie & Fitch and later became the face of ASOS 2013 spring collection.
She also ventured into acting making her film debut in Step Up 2: The Streets in 2008.
23. JO KOY ComedianJo Koy was born Joseph Glenn Herbert to a Filipino mother and American father in Spanaway, Washington. His family later moved to Las Vegas, Nevada to be near his ailing grandmother and where he began his career as a performer. He briefly attended UNLV but dropped out to pursue stand-up comedy which proved to be the right move. He is best known for his stand-up performances across the country and his regular appearances on E!'s late night show Chelsea Lately and The Adam Carolla Show. Koy's stage name comes from a nickname his family gave him growing up. PHOTO SOURCE [video id="" site="youtube"][/video] JO KOY
24. CHERYL BURKE Dancer, ModelCheryl Stephanie Burke was born in San Francisco, California to a Filipino mother, Sherri (Bautista) and Irish/Russian father, Stephen Burke. She is best known for being the first female professional to win twice and consecutively on ABC's Dancing with the Stars. PHOTO SOURCE
25. MARK DACASCOS Martial Artist, Actor
Mark Alan Dacascos was born in Honolulu, Hawaii to a Filipino father, Al Dacascos, and Irish/Japanese mother, Moriko McVey-Murray. Dacascos’ father started training him in martial arts at a very young age and won numerous kung-fu and karate championships between the ages of 7 and 18. He has an extensive resume in film, his most notable films include, Double Dragon (1994), The Island of Doctor Moreau (1995), The Crow 2: Stairway to Heaven (1998), Cradle 2 the Grave (2003), Mortal Combat: Legacy (2013).
In television most people know him as the Chairman on Food Network’s Iron Chef America, a role he filled in 2005. He is also on the CBS series Hawaii Five-O, playing the recurring character of Wo Fat.
26. MUTYA BUENA Singer
Rosa Isabel Mutya Buena was born in Kingsbury, London. Her father is Filipino and her mother is Irish. Buena rose to fame as a member of the all girl group Sugarbabes who charted four UK number one singles, six top-ten hits and three multi-platinum albums. She left the group in 2005 and released her debut solo album, Real Girl, in 2007. In 2012, she reunited with her former bandmates to form Mutya Keisha Siobhan.